Nearly a year in the making...

Ayumi had her month in the Ringo Pie Bee last year March.  And I let myself get intimidated.  Making a block for the queen of paper piecing can really affect your my confidence.  I got overly ambitious with the curved seams and y-seams.  And then I just lost a chunk of the block (still don't know where that went).

Finally it. is. done.

Ayumi's grocery store bee block

Ayumi's theme was the grocery store.  She especially wanted a cashier or cash register.  And, because it is for Ayumi, also the queen of cute, I pulled out the full force of my pink stash.

So, Gina wins the stamp guessing game with her guess of "teeny, tiny typewriter key."  I'll be sending you an email and then a scrap package, Gina.
........

On the opposite end of the piecing spectrum (from a block that was due 11 months ago), here is a baby quilt top (40x40") that I pieced in two days.  Granted the green is a jelly roll and I had sliced and diced my vintage sheets into various precuts a few months ago.  But going from zero to quilt top (and basted!) in two days is pretty impressive for me. 

vintage sheet zigzag


And, lastly, here is Henry getting off of the school bus today.  He is rocking in his school shoes just like Pete the Cat (Please ignore the part where I didn't get his shoes in the photo.  Catching my guy looking at the camera is quite an accomplishment.)

getting off the school bus

14 comments:

Krista said...

This is amazing! And your little guy is so cute getting off the bus :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one intimidated by these bees (and procrastinating out of fear).

Heidi Staples said...

Oh my gosh...that cash register is absolutely incredible! I'm in love... Yes I can understand the intimidation factor going on there, but you've no need to worry. This block is stunning.

What a cutie your little guy is! I love that smile. :)

Gina said...

Wow!! Cutest cash register ever!! But not as cute as Henry getting off the bus!! Your paper piecing is amazing! Thanks so much for the scrap pack!!!

Tamie said...

I'm impressed and Henry is a cutie!

melissa said...

oh my - that cash register takes the cake! it's perfect!!

love the baby quilt as well - that green goes wonderfully with your vintage sheets!

and oh henry... he's just the cutest little guy ever!
(viv and i love pete the cat too!)

Anonymous said...

You mad woman, you... "Y" seams give me the willies! LOL! It came out fabulously though!!! I love it! Nice work...

felicity said...

Wow, Melinda. Amazing. AMAZING.

Melanie said...

Wow, your cash register is amazing! Well done!

Suz J said...

You do know that you are insane don't you? That's why we love you! I had absolutely no idea what your stamps were for... and read everyone else's comments and kept scrolling up and down to see if any of the suggestions seemed appropriate. Still nothing! For them to be part of an old school cash register... insane, insane!

Kritta22 said...

YAY for finishing!!!! You are better than I!

I'm glad you sent me your link...i'm going to put it on my blog one of these days! :)

Lindsey said...

Henry is so darn cute!!!
Your cashregister is amazing but I am totally drolling over (and absolutely going to copy - seriously, I already started peicing) your chevron quilt. How did you do the edges?

Gina said...

Hi Melinda,

I received your scraps today and wanted to say THANK YOU!!! There are all kinds of bits of awesomeness in there!! I am going to make some hexies with some and use others in other blocks and some paper piecing. Thank you for sharing all the fun stuff you make. I love all of the things you craft but I think my favorites are your paper pieced blocks from the designs you come up with and the fabric choices you make. Thanks again for the happy mail!, have a great weekend!

ayumills said...

I am so late to read this post! You are the "real" paper-piecing queen! You have absolutely no need to feel intimidated! Every paper-pieced block of yours is superb. I learn so much from each of them, and this is no exception. I really loved it when you posted it online, but I even love it more now that I see it in person. So much perfection and love in this single block. I just love it!

Henry looks so cute in the pic!

Karee said...

love the stacked zig zag. rather brilliant!

Post a Comment

You are awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment :)